Thursday, 25 October 2012

BLR person; BOM person



Off the bat, let me preface this by saying I’m a Bangalore person. I love cool weather, cool people, spur-of-the-moment flights of fancy, and the freedom to live life at your own pace. And no, I don’t like the traffic but that’s a minor moan. If you’re a Bangalore person, some of those may ring a bell.


Onward to Mumbai. One word describes Mumbai for me – Frantic! Nothing stays still in Mumbai. Bombs couldn’t even slow her pace. And kudos to the city for it. But, on the few occasions I’ve visited the city I couldn’t shake this feeling of being rushed. As though, if I were to stop on my tracks on the street that I would be pushed forward by the crowd, that I have no option but to keep pace with the crowd. On the other hand that same sheer energy and vibrancy of the city is its infectious signature.


Just like people, places too have a distinct personality about them. Why else would anyone prefer one over another? Just like we choose our friends we develop an affinity for certain places.

I have a question though. Why do we sometimes realize the true beauty of a place only when we are away from it? Perhaps it has to do with that common nature of not being satisfied with what you have and wanting more; that urge to crib. But, I believe that every now and then, one must stop and take stock of things. What’s good as it is? What needs work? What needs to go? What must be done more often? What's something new that I could explore?

True, some places are quite simply better than others. It all depends on who’s looking. However, the oft missed perspective is that every place has a distinct charm. Some are in your face and some are buried deep fifty feet under the sand in a godforsaken crypt. It takes oodles of desire, tolerance and patience to find out and have fun while you’re at it. Finding a bunch of likeminded souls to share in this experience would be a blessing indeed; and I can vouch for that one.

Now, onward to find out what this desert has to offer other than malls that seem to have their own pincodes. Ah Wanderlust!




 


Images courtesy:





0 comments:

Post a Comment